photo by Joe Mazza and Brave Lux

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dark Fairy Tale Frame Story

I wrote this as a series of short moments to act as a frame for an evening of 4-5 minute plays written by my fellow Ohio University MFA playwrights on the theme of “Dark Fairy Tales.”

Dark Fairy Tale Frame Pt 1
by Jacob Juntunen

TZADDIK enters. He takes out a leather-bound journal and sits, back to the audience, writing.

NARRATOR
Once upon a time, there was a Jewish mystic, a Tzaddik, who traveled around East Central Europe seeking enlightenment and recording his findings. He had such faith in the One Who Must Not Be Named that he carried no provisions, eating and drinking only what he found in the forest and what kindly villagers offered him. One day…

The Narrator enters the scene with TZADDIK.

NARRATOR
Hello!

TZADDIK
Oh! Excuse me, am I trespassing?

NARRATOR
Not at all, not at all.

The narrator speaks to us again.

NARRATOR
It was then that he saw he was surrounded on all four sides by a great crowd of people. As he took them in, he finally heard the inner voice he had sought for years, “You must leave this place as soon as possible.”

The narrator is in the scene again.

NARRATOR
What can I and my humble village do for you?

TZADDIK
Nothing, nothing. I was only stopping to write my daily observations.

NARRATOR
It is a lovely place, is it not? Lush, green, full of frogs and ponds.

TZADDIK
I’ll just be on my way then.

NARRATOR
Surely you’ll stay the night? It’s after 11 already and the path is tricky for those who don’t know it. And fires can be dangerous for those like you in our forest of ashen white birch trees.

TZADDIK
I’m afraid I’m, um, expected somewhere in the morning—

NARRATOR
We’ll wake you early, send you on your way with provisions.

TZADDIK
It’s very tempting, but I must—

NARRATOR
At least let us give you dinner. Don’t offend us by not accepting our hospitality.

TZADDIK
Well. I wouldn’t want to offend you.

NARRATOR
Then sit here and eat. While you do so, we’ll entertain you with fairy tales from our region.

TZADDIK sits on the floor, back to the audience. Narrator speaks to the audience.

NARRATOR
Of course, it was a lie that anyone expected him. And so, with some trepidation, he sat on the cool damp grass, ate the rich fatty food they gave him, and listened to their fairy tales.

Narrator also sits on the floor, back to the audience.

Several short plays based on Dark Fairy Tales theme.

Part II

TZADDIK
(jumping up) Well! That was very, um, elucidating. Thank you for the meal, but I must be moving on.

NARRATOR
Why are you in such a hurry to be away from us?

TZADDIK
I’m in no hurry, it’s just that I’m expected—

NARRATOR
From the way you wander, no one expects you. If you were lost in this forest forever, no one would miss you. A vast pit could open to swallow your body and there would be no headstone.

TZADDIK
Why would I lie?

NARRATOR
Does our food offend?

TZADDIK
It was very good. I’m quite full and ready for travel—

NARRATOR
Then it must be our stories.

TZADDIK
No… Well. They are a bit dark.

The Narrator speaks to us again.

NARRATOR
It was then that the voice spoke to him a second time, saying, “Tell them no more, and leave, now!”

The Narrator is in the scene again.

NARRATOR
Dark? They are simply the stories of our village. But if they are not to your taste, sit, sit. We will bring you honey and nuts, sunshine and light, and calm your worried head. It is nearly midnight, you can’t leave now. You must stay the night with us.

TZADDIK
Perhaps you could simply give me a candle to help me find my way through the forest?

NARRATOR
I told you, fires are dangerous for you in this part. But, anything you wish. After dessert.

TZADDIK
I can go after dessert?

NARRATOR
You can go now, no one holds you back. If you want to give us offense.

TZADDIK sits on the floor, back to the audience. Narrator speaks to the audience.

NARRATOR
And so, he sat again, the ground now as cold as a stone. He ate the sweet viscous honey and the meat of nuts while he watched.

A few more dark fairy tale shorts.

Part III

NARRATOR
Was that sweet enough for you?

TZADDIK
What’s sweeter than forest honey?

Narrator speaks to us.

NARRATOR
And, indeed, he felt nearly asleep on his feet after the rich meal and unusual sugar rushing through his veins. Sucrose was a rarity in those days, especially for a wanderer. He expected the Voice to return, to tell him to leave, but he heard nothing.

The narrator is back in the scene.

TZADDIK
Perhaps it would be possible for me to spend the night after all?

NARRATOR
Of course! Simply follow my servants with their torches, they will lead the way to our village fires—they’ll warm you to your soul.

The narrator speaks to us.

NARRATOR
When the torches came out, however, the Tzaddik saw hundreds of frogs jump into ponds that were full of ash, and the voice came a third time, saying simply, “Leave.”

The narrator is back in the scene.

TZADDIK
Then again, my friends will worry if I don’t arrive soon. I believe I will take my leave after all.

NARRATOR
As you wish. Tell your “friends” of the stories you saw here this evening.

TZADDIK
(taking out his notebook and pencil) Would you mind telling me the name of this place, so I may make a note of your, um, particular hospitality?

NARRATOR
In Polish, our village is called Oświęcim. In Yiddish, it is Oshpitsin. In German, it is Auschwitz.

The narrator speaks to us.

NARRATOR
So the story comes to us, from an actual historic document of the 15th century, that a Jewish mystic felt an overwhelming sense of darkness when he tried to spend the night in the woods outside Oświęcim, and had to move on. But we’ll not keep you here with our stories any longer. Good night.

Sudden blackout.

No comments:

Post a Comment